Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Grapefruit and Orange Juice

I have a juicer that I use pretty regularly (even though it's a total pain to clean...). Usually I'll throw in whatever I have in my fridge to make some kind of juice. I like things more on the sweet side, so I try to use more fruits than vegetables. I like making my own juice because you can have anywhere from 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies in one glass!

Last week, I did a one day "cleanse" to jump start my New Year's resolution (which is to generally eat healthier). I drank homemade juice all day long - and after one day, I definitely felt a difference! It was a good way to get me going on the right path. It definitely isn't for anyone, but for myself, I like to do a one day cleanse when I haven't been eating so great.

One of the combinations I liked was grapefruit and orange juice. It's great to have every morning, doesn't have added sugar like store bought juices, and provides a lot of vitamins (that are especially important when you work with germy kids all day like I do). I'm not normally a fan of grapefruit because they're bitter, but mixed with oranges, it becomes less tart.



Ingredients:
1 ruby red grapefruit
2 medium sized oranges


Peel the oranges and grapefruit and process through the juicer. Tada! The hardest part about this recipe is the clean up, which is well worth it if you're becoming more health-conscious. If you prefer it even less bitter, try juicing just a half grapefruit and adding an extra orange. Or add 1-2 packets of stevia to the juice once you're finished.


It goes great with oatmeal, enjoy!



2 comments: