Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Makeup Brush Jars


Last year, I started saving old Yankee Candle jars to "use to make something" on a rainy day...which came and went, and over a year later, I've finally put them to use! I knew that I wanted to make some kind of makeup brush holder for my 30+ brushes that I have. So I decided to use ribbon, some leftover rhinestone-esque "ribbon" I had leftover, and bright green flowers. When we moved, we decided to keep the whole house in the same theme and color palette. Throughout the rooms, there is grey, black, white/cream and accents of green (I feel like it unifies the house, especially since it's one story).


To get started, I poured boiling water in the jars to get the leftover candle wax out. Once it cools, most of it has either floated to the surface, or is easy enough to get out of the bottom with a knife. After washing and drying, it looks like this:

Don't mind the mess. I prefer to work in chaos.

 The first step is to choose the ribbon you want for this project. Since everything else is black, white and green in my house, and I have black and white print totes in my closet (where my vanity is), I decided to go with black and white polka dots.


I then took the ribbon and measured around the cup to get the right size.


The seam where it will overlap doesn't matter, because depending on the size flower you choose, it will end up covering it up. I used craft spray adhesive to glue it to the jar. I sprayed a light layer on the back of the ribbon, and carefully but quickly wrapped it around the jar. It still leaves some room for adjustment if you didn't affix it right the first time. It should end up looking like this:


I wanted to add a little sparkle to the jar, so I used this leftover roll of "rhinestone cake ribbon":


This was leftover from a cake my mom had made when my vovo turned 80 this past December. You can find something similar here. I like it because it doesn't have actual rhinestones, so they won't ever chip or fall out. But it adds a cute little shine and detail.

I then used a green flower that I bought from AC Moore. It was originally a lot larger than what I wanted, but it had an extra layer that I was able to pop off.


I then snipped off the stem so that I could glue it to the glass.






I then used a hot glue gun to glue the back of the flower to the seam of the ribbons. And it ended up looking like this!



I'm super happy with how it turned out. I plan on getting glass beads or something similar to put in the jars, like how Sephora has their makeup jars, so that my brushes will stand up on their own.

Check out Dear Creatives for more DIY projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment